Tuesday 15 February 2011

brocade bracelet sleeves

I've been loving this pattern for a while, it's the Lady Grey from Colette Patterns....but i just wasn't up for spending the money to get it sent from the US....and then i found it on a UK site...cliiick! (that was me selecting the "Buy it" button)
I bought a turquoise/pink beautiful wool tweed with ribbons woven into the fabric, but it was expensive and i didn't want to make any costly mistakes so this cream brocade was my first try at this pattern. I got the heavy brocade fabric at an upholstery warehouse...i love working with upholstery fabric...it's so stiff and yet still drapes just enough.
I'll probably wear it for posh occasions because a cream coat is a bit too risky for my everyday wear! The short arms are so that you can show off your long gloves or chunky bracelets!
I'm going to tailor the wool tweed one when i get round to making it, using hair canvas and pad-stitching to the get the collar and lapels to drape etc, but this version was made using just medium fusible interfacing and the odd tack to keep the shape of the cape-collar.
It is also super-neat inside with every seam finished to perfection and bound and the lining secured with invisible stitches....shiver of delight!
phew...that took quite a while...now to start the real one!

5 comments:

Molly Katherine Harries said...

It looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the "real" one too :)

Unknown said...

Wowsers! I'm so impressed. I've been admiring all the Lady Greys out there in the interweb, but yours is particularly gorgeous. Can't believe that's just your trial run!!

lyds said...

Cam't say gorgeous because that means many-coloured so beautiful and perfect will have to do!! well done you, it's very professioinal!
M.xox

Paula said...

Wow it's amazing!! I love it! Very elegant, well done

Wendy said...

Wow, it's stunning and you look fantastic in it.